Apple Bacon Cheddar Waffles
original recipe by Chef Kirsten Dixon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk (or whole milk)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese (non-shredded)
- 8 pieces bacon (no more than 50% smoked)
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Bring eggs and buttermilk/whole milk to room temperature. In the meantime:
- Cook the bacon in the oven at 350 degrees until crispy, but not overcooked.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and stir in the honey; or add the honey to the butter prior to melting.
- Shred the cheese, crumble the cooked bacon, and core and dice the apple.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat at medium speed 1-2 minutes.
- Add the buttermilk and mix at medium speed another 1-2 minutes, until frothy.
- Add butter and honey mixture and incorporate.
- Begin to heat the waffle iron.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 or 4 batches, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Add apples, bacon, and cheese. Mix into batter using a gentle touch.
- Pour batter onto waffle grid. Use an amount appropriate for the waffle maker.
- Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.
Yield: about 10 waffles.