1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
1 large egg
2-3 Tablespoons minced onion
1-2 ears corn, white or yellow (optional)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Oil for frying
1. Pour oil into deep pan to a depth of approximately two inches. Ensure the pan has another 3-4 inches of space above the oil line. Heat the oil, being careful not to overheat.
2. In small bowl place the egg and beat. Add milk, onion, corn, pepper, and garlic.
3. In medium bowl place cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir.
4. When oil is hot enough to begin frying add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
5. Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil. Leave plenty of room for hush puppies to move in the oil.
6. After 4 -5 minutes the hush puppies should be cooked. Use a slotted spoon to remove from oil and place on platter to drain.
7. As always, when cooking with oil, be careful not to overheat or spill the oil. Remember to turn off the heat source.