For spring when the weather turns warm and color begins to enter our life.
Yield: One 9 inch Pie
A baked pie shell, use when at room temperature
Ingredients for lemon custard filling:
1 cup white granulated sugar
5 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon table salt
2 cups whole milk, no substitutions
3 beaten egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup lemon juice, no more
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, use more rind for more flavor
1. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and table salt in the top of a double boiler.
2. Slowly pour in the milk and stir to combine.
3. Continuously stir mixture so it does not burn.
4. Temper the beaten egg yolks by adding a small amount (about 1/4 cup hot mixture) of hot custard into the egg yolks and stir.
5. Add the egg mixture to custard mixture. Stir gently. Cook, still over boiling water, about 15 minutes more. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in the butter, lemon juice, and grated lemon rind. Now you have lemon custard.
7. Keep stirring the hot lemon custard until it has cooled to room temperature and is ready to be poured into the pie crust.
8. Cover with meringue (my recipe follows) and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until the meringue is browned to your preference.
9. Let cool about 30 minutes prior to cutting and enjoying.
10. Most of all enjoy your homemade lemon meringue pie.
Meringue for lemon meringue pie
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Add the egg whites and cream of tartar to a medium or large mixing bowl.
2. Beat egg whites until white are stiff, but not dry. The meringue should stand in peaks with the tip of the peak falling slightly, softly, when the beaters are removed from the meringue.
3. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
4. Pour the meringue onto the lemon custard and spread to the crust. No lemon custard should show through.
5. Pop in the heated oven (350 degrees) until browned. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes.